Monday, May 11, 2009

IS there anyone who has had CVS or amnio due to maternal age?

I'm just wondering how many of you of "advanced maternal age" (give me a break, I'm not on AARP yet) have had these diagnostic tests. Has anyone suffered complications or false positives?

IS there anyone who has had CVS or amnio due to maternal age?
My OB recommended that I do the AFP test (I think they recommend that to everybody nowadays) and also amnio because I was 34+ during pregnancy. The pregnancy was not planned but a very wonderful surprise and I looked at it as a gift from God. I am very pro-life and couldn't imagine what benefit the test would have had for me as I wouldn't have terminated the pregnancy regardless of outcome and test results could have potentially created worry during my pregnancy.





I read what I could on the internet about the tests and back then the frequency of complications and false positives was enough to make me decide not to do them. I personally know of one case where mom with scary AFP test result did followup test and doctor recommended abortion and baby was born healthy and normal. Another mom I know was expecting twins and they had that placenta disorder and one doctor told them to abort and both babies were fine. I've also known people who had all the tests come back normal but their babies were born with serious birth defects.


Bottom line, there is no guarantee, why put yourself and the baby through the risk of the procedure?





P.S. My daughter was born healthy, but if she'd had problems, I can't imagine not loving her anyway, and I know the Lord would've somehow carried us through.
Reply:I think you need to think long and hard about having these tests. If tests show there is something wrong with your baby, will you abort him/her? Seeing as how I don't believe in abortion, then there is NO WAY I'd risk having a miscarriage or going into premature labor -- which can happen sometimes as a result of these tests. I would keep my baby no matter what.


No comments:

Post a Comment